Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Biking for Caitlin

Last week, my friend Caitlin passed away at age 26 from Type 1 Diabetes.  I met her in 2008 at the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon.  She was a sweet, smart, and healthy young lady who took great care of herself and loved life.  I have heard of many people dying from Type 1 Diabetes, but this hit really close to home since we had spent time together and were close in age.  She had worked for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation as an advocate for a cure and had studied nursing in college. Diabetes doesn't just kill the old and unhealthy, it gets the young and healthy ones too.  My heart aches for Caitlin's family and friends as I know she was a special person in many lives.  Life is unfair and things happen unexpectedly.  That's why we should always live each day to its fullest. 
I have decided to dedicate this ride to Caitlin.  Each mile will be a celebration of her life and of those who loved her.




No comments:

Post a Comment